We beat Sewanee 3-0 on Friday, went to Ghost Roast feeling elated, and returned to our beds on Saturday for some much needed sleep.
Today I’m feeling euphoric. I just walked back into my apartment, set my senior gifts down, put my roses in a vase, and now I’m relaxing and basking in our 4-0 win over Centre. Winning today marks the first time we’ve beat Centre in program history, it also brings our record up to 10-4.
If you know anything about the Hendrix Field Hockey Team, you know that we have worked exceptionally hard to build up our program. We’re five years old. We’ve made Hendrix history in some way, shape, or form every year I’ve been here. My first game freshman year marked the first win for our program. EVER. We beat Earlham 3-0 in Kentucky and we beat Sewanee for the first time. Last year we beat a nationally ranked team and our record was much better than the two years previous, we were 6-10 overall. Now, as a senior, I walk off of the field beating a team in our conference we had never defeated and I’m fairly certain we are ranked second in the SCAC standings.
I’m not taking anything away from our previous team, we worked hard, we did well, but I sure as hell hope that next year the team does even better. There are a lot of firsts that people get to experience in their lives. Not many get to witness the growth of a sports team, especially in such a short period of time. I’m looking forward to two wins next weekend. For now, though, I think it’s important to consider that my freshman year our record (without conference championships) was 4-10 and now, senior year, we’re 10-4. I could not have more pride in my team at this moment.
I have been truly blessed by field hockey; by the fans, by my teammates, by the roller coaster that is being on a college level sports team. I cannot wait to see the future of HDX FH. Leaps and bounds, my friends, leaps and bounds. Well done, Warriors.
No comments:
Post a Comment